Yogic breathing techniques have been around for thousands of years, but not until 1970’s has the western world learned the life-changing practice of yoga.
One of the most joyful breathing techniques is called “Breath of Joy.” This practice lifts your spirit and generates happiness as you increase the oxygen flow to your body and mind. It also promotes a release of stress and negativity and a reported reduction in depression. It’s a fun practice for children and adults, but if you have medical conditions, it’s always best to consult with your doctor before beginning a new practice.
The Breath of Joy
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart
- Inhale 1/3 of your lungs as you raise your hands in front of your body to shoulder level
- Inhale again 2/3 lung capacity and bring your arms out to your sides at shoulder level
- Inhale fully and swing your arms directly overhead with palms facing each other
- Exhale completely as you swing your arms back down, bending over releasing a “ha” sound
- Repeat up to 9 times